Windows 11: What are the Hardware Requirements?
Microsoft announced the release of Windows 11 OS, which is stirring news for individuals and businesses alike. The platform brings several exciting features that make it easy to use for enhanced team collaboration. One of the features that you can look forward to is the improved security through the TPM 2.0 module.
However, while there is much to look forward to with this new OS, not everyone will be able to install it on their computers. This is because of the hardware requirements for Windows 11.
Windows 11 Hardware Requirements
Windows 11 is an all-64-bit platform for ARM64 and X64 processors but doesn’t have a 32-bit version for X86 machines. However, it is expected that a “production-ready” version of the platform will arrive in the coming fall. Windows 11 is a free upgrade for Windows 10 versions, but the hardware must be compatible. The requirements include:
- RAM: 4 gigabytes or more
- Processor: it must have a speed of 1 gigahertz (GHz) or more. The machine must also have two cores or more on a system on a chip (SoC) or a compatible 64-bit processor.
- Internet connection: internet connectivity is one of the critical requirements for successful updates and downloading some Windows 11 features. The Home Edition of Windows 11 must have an internet connection and a Microsoft account to enable you to complete the device setup process on initial use.
- Storage: Windows 11 requires minimum storage of 64 GB or greater to install it successfully. You may need additional space to download, update, and activate specific features.
- System firmware: the requirements are Secure Boot capable UEFI
- Graphics card: Windows 11 OS is compatible with DirectX 12 or a more modern version. This must come with a Windows Display Driver Module 2.0 driver.
- Trusted Platform Module for enhanced security: the module has to be TPM module 2.0
- Display: your machine must be a high-definition display (720), with a monitor size of 9″ or more, and 8 bits per colour channel.
It’s worth noting that as Microsoft continues to update the platform, the requirements may also increase. If your current machine lacks these features, and you wish to upgrade to Windows 11, the next best thing to do will be to buy a new PC.
Feature-Specific Requirements for Windows 11
In addition to the minimum requirements for Windows 11, some features on the platform may call for additional requirements. Here are some other details regarding the requirements for key features:
- Xbox: the app requires an Xbox Live account, which, unfortunately, is not available in all regions. Some Xbox features require an active Xbox Game Pass Subscription.
- Windows projection: needs a display adapter compatible with Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) 2.0 and a Wi-Fi adapter compatible with direct Wi-Fi.
- Windows Hello requires a camera with the proper configurations for near-infrared imaging. Alternatively, it must come with a fingerprint sensor for biometrics verification. Devices not fitted with biometrics features can use Windows Hello with a transferable Microsoft compatible key for security or a PIN.
- Two-factor authentication: uses biometrics features and PIN or a mobile device with Bluetooth or Wi-Fi capabilities.
- Touch: for this to work, the screen or monitor must support multi-touch
- Teams: the feature requires a microphone, video camera, and speaker (audio output)
- Spatial sound: the hardware and software must be supportive
- Mute or unmute from taskbar: requires a speaker (audio output), microphone, and a video camera. The app must also be work with features that enable all-inclusive mute or unmute.
- Snap three column layouts: they require a screen that is 1920 or greater
- Multiple voice assistant: requires a speaker and microphone
- Intelligent video conferencing: requires a speaker (audio output), microphone, and video camera
- Presence: Must have a sensor to detect human distance from the device to interact.
- 5G support: requires a modem that is capable of 5G
- Auto HDR: must have an HDR display.
Benefits of Windows 11 Minimum Requirements for Businesses in Calgary
Windows 11 comes as a complete set of experiences to help users unlock the full power of the PC in various areas. The minimum requirements enhance the reliability, security, multitasking ability, compatibility, and video conferencing capabilities of the platform.
The company aims to have minimum requirements to make the platform meet users’ expectations and needs. They also help harness the actual value and power of the PC for the best user experiences now and in the future. The principles behind the platform’s minimum requirements include:
- Security: Windows 11 raises the security bar by providing requirements for hardware that can enable protections like Device Encryption, Windows Hello, Secure Boot, and virtualization-based security. These features, combined, come with a reduced risk of malware infections of approximately 60% on tested devices.
- Reliability: by upgrading your devices to Windows 11, you will get support from the company in a more reliable manner. CPUs that have integrated the new Windows Driver model and have support from Microsoft’s OEM and silicon partners have had a 99.8% crash-free experience.
- Compatibility: Windows 11 is designed for compatibility with most of the apps that users already have. It comes with the fundamentals of 4 GB memory, more than 1GHz, 64 GB storage, and 2-core processors. All these align with the system requirements for Microsoft Teams and Office.
Based on these principles, Microsoft is confident that devices that run on Qualcomm 7 and 8 series, AMD Zen 2, and Intel 8th generation will meet the principles and minimum requirements for Windows 11.
Windows 11 Services In Calgary
The business world anticipates the release of Windows 11 because of all the platform is set to bring. If your business is yet to prepare for the transition, this is the right time, primarily because of the enhanced security the platform brings for users.
We understand that the minimum requirements might be a little too technical for you if you don’t have the technical knowledge. That is why Pure IT is here to help you. We specialize in helping businesses in Calgary and Southern Alberta reach their specific goals by aligning them with custom-made IT and Microsoft solutions for their business. Contact us today for reliable IT and Microsoft support you can always trust.